Sunday, January 19, 2014

Eggs in Purgatory

When I was growing up, my Italian grandmother would frequently serve me these eggs cooked in marinara sauce, and it was one of my favorite ways to use up leftover sauce. I was also amused by the name.

This recipe is great for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or a light supper. Serve it with our Garlic Toast or plain, hearty bread to soak up all the saucy goodness.

RECIPE:

2 cups Classic Marinara Sauce or your favorite plain red pasta sauce
4 eggs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
1/2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

In a large skillet, simmer the marinara sauce over medium heat until well heated.

Gently and carefully crack the eggs into the skillet, spacing them evenly, with plenty of sauce on all sides. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Simmer until the whites are set and the yolks are cooked to the desired stage.

Sprinkle with the parsley and/or cheese, if using.

-- 2 servings

3 comments:

  1. Stopping by from Marvelous Mondays. I loved the name so I had to come and visit.
    What a great memory to have from your Grandma. The recipe looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These eggs look really good, and I love the name! So easy, but looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name. Did she tell you if you didn't finish it you were committing a sin? My grandmother used to say that about wasting bread. Thanks for sharing this great way to use leftover sauce on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete