Sunday, March 20, 2011

Roasted Asparagus



Every once in a while, I meet people who tell me they don't like asparagus. Often it turns out that their only experience with asparagus was out of a can. No wonder they don't think they like asparagus!

Fresh is always best, and roasting fresh asparagus until crisp-tender will deepen its flavor and mellow it at the same time.

This is my favorite way to prepare asparagus. It's easy and pretty much foolproof.

RECIPE:

1 pound asparagus
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Rinse the asparagus and break off the tough ends. (If you hold the asparagus spear at each end and bend it slightly, it will break at the right spot.) If using thicker spears, trim off the larger buds near the bottom of the stalk as desired.

Line up the asparagus spears in a single layer in a baking dish or pan.

Drizzle the asparagus lightly with the olive oil, turn to coat, and then sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

Roast for about 5-12 minutes, until the asparagus are tender when pierced with a fork, but still firm. The roasting time will depend on the thickness of the asparagus spears. For very thin asparagus, start checking them after about 4 minutes.

-- 4 servings

2 comments:

  1. This is exactly how I like my asparagus! I never took to steamed or boiled asparagus, but when I discovered it roasted... WOW! Thanks for spreading the word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure, Jackie! In the future, I plan to post some recipes for roasted asparagus with various embellishments, so stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete